Jon's Blog

Practical tips to help you improve your credit rating and avoid expensive high interest loans

What To Do If You Become Ill or Disabled.

If the worst should happen and you fall ill and have to take significant time of work there are steps you can take to help see you through.

Know your entitlements

The first thing to do is check you are receiving all the money that is available to you. This could come from different places so it is worth checking carefully.

Your employer

From your employer you may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay. This is for up to 28 weeks as long as you are employed but unable to work and you earned an average of at least £112 a week in the two months before you stopped working.

The minimum sick pay you are entitled to is £88.45 a week but some employers may be more generous. You should check your contract or talk to your HR department to find out what you are entitled to.

You are also legally entitled to ask your employer to make reasonable changes to your working conditions if these would enable you to return to work. These might include:

  • Flexible hours
  • A reasonable change to your workload
  • Use of special equipment such as furniture and IT to help make you more comfortable.

You should also speak to your employer or pension provider if you have been paying into a workplace pension as some include sickness benefits such as early retirement options.

The Government

You might be eligible for some state benefits some of which are not well known. These include:

  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Tax credits
  • Housing benefit
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance

For more information see the website.


If you have Critical illness insurance as well as Life insurance you might be eligible for a pay-out depending on the nature of your illness. Read your policy carefully and contact your insurer if in doubt.

If you have mortgage payment protection or other payment protection policies you are probably entitled to make a claim. Again, read your documentation carefully or contact your provider. Do this as soon as possible to avoid running up non-payment penalties.

Contact your service providers

Contrary to popular belief no one wants to cut off your phone / electricity / bank overdraft. If you contact the relevant companies and explain your situation you will probably be able to work something out with them. In these cases honesty really is the best policy.

Your local council

If you need small adaptations made to your home to make life easier your local council should be able to help with things like handrails and bath equipment. They can also help with shopping and cleaning services.

If your illness is short-term and you need some help to get you through the worst we can help ease your financial worries.  Our lenders can arrange same day loans with no credit check and all within minutes of you filling out a simple online form.

Clare McDonald
Clare McDonald
As a mother of two, Clare knows the importance of being careful with money, so writes posts from personal experience.Clare also loves to find great deals, so shares her finding here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *