Can I change my payment date?
Typically, you can change your payment date:
- You will need to agree to it with your lender 📞
- They will let you know how to do this if you get in touch with them.
- They will usually only let you do this if your account is up to date, not if you have missed or fallen behind with payments.
There are a few other things to consider:
- If you usually pay by Direct Debit, then you’ll need to give most lenders about 5 working days’ notice before your payment is due so that they can tell your bank.
- If you usually pay by card, you will not usually be able to move your payment date on the day your payment is due.
- You can usually only change your payment date once in a 2-month period, you can’t keep changing it.
- Many lenders have rules like, you can only move your payment date further away from a maximum of 3 times a year and 5 times over the total loan term.
- Most lenders will also have rules like; you can only move your payment date further away by a maximum agreed number of days. So, if your normal payment date is the 10th of each month, they may have a rule which says that you can only move it by up to 10 days – so new payment date of the latest the 20th.
- Each lender will have its own set of guidelines, you will need to contact them to find out what agreement you can make.